Sugar Creek Horse Camps
Sugar Creek Horse Camps at Camp Appanoose offer training in horsemanship in a beautiful camp setting.
Riding instruction by qualified trainers will challenge each participant to improve their skills while enjoying a week devoted to horses. ‘Hands on’ clinics in the following areas will prove to be both informative and enjoyable:
- Horse Safety
- Horse Care & Grooming
- Equipment Care
- Horse Health
- Riding Basics and Safety
- Negotiating Obstacles
- Trail Riding
- Trail Safety
- Rider/Owner Responsibilities
Trail Riding is always a highlight at Camp Appanoose. In addition, camp participants will enjoy gaming activities in the camp’s arena. Skill will be developed in the use of a lariat. Leather crafts are included along with a special Cowboy Cookout.
In the horse programs at Camp Appanoose’s Sugar Creek Ranch, young persons learn to care for a horse, develop a relationship with that horse and in so doing; move beyond self-centeredness and insecurity to new heights of confidence and achievement. Training offered by a team of professionals will nurture competence as well as a sense of responsibility. Spiritual principles are carefully integrated into all programs.
Sugar Creek Ranch at Camp Appanoose offers unparalleled opportunities to learn about horses in a beautiful and fun filled setting where trail riding and horse related activities comprise the core of the program. Each camper is assigned to a small group led by a trained counselor who serves as a big brother or big sister. Excellent meals in the dining hall and interactive Bible study are important components of the program.
Camp Appanoose is a Christian camp which endeavors to use professional training in horsemanship to develop qualities of personal responsibility, initiative, life purpose and self discipline in young persons.
In addition to personal items, each rider will need jeans, light long-sleeved shirts, hard-soled shoes or boots, bandana and gloves.
Objectives of Sugar Creek Horse Programs
- To present participants with the sporting and scientific knowledge essential to good horsemanship, placing emphasis on safety issues, animal ethics, and the significance of horses historically and as a mode of transportation.
- To operate a program of horse camps which will assist young people in developing confidence and a positive relationship with another creature.
- To teach leather crafting skills along with the maintenance and crafting of animal tack.
- To offer trail rides for selected camp programs, working in harmony with the programs of Camp Appanoose, Inc.